This week I have my glucose test. Blah. It’s not the drink that’s even that terrible, it’s just that since I had gestational diabetes during my last pregnancy I have a feeling I’ll have it again and y’all? It’s not the worst thing in the world, but it’s no walk in the park either. ESPECIALLY around the holidays when all anyone serves is loaded with carbs (g l o r i o u s carbs).
Now don’t get me wrong: I’m by no means calling this a low-carb dessert. But it IS one that you can feel pretty good about diving into instead of that tin of cookies. And one that I’ll be dreaming about if it does turn out that I can’t indulge!
There’s one small kicker though: you have to make the nutty date balls that I had up last week. These take about 5 minutes to make, they taste incredible, are easily transportable and they make a killer stuffed baked apple, so really it’s a great big all-around win for everyone! Y’all enjoy!
Makes 4 baked apples
- 4 apples of choice (I prefer Jazz or Honeycrisp)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 8 Nutty Date Balls
- ice cream, Greek yogurt or whipped cream for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cut off the top of each apple (about 1/8 of an inch down).
- Using a spoon (a grapefruit spoon works great here), scoop out the core of the apple until just before you hit the bottom. You want to make sure you keep the bottom of the apple intact.
- For each apple, stuff two Nutty Date Balls into the scooped out core, gently pressing to make sure the entire apple center is filled.
- Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes, watching toward the end to make sure the top doesn’t burn. IF it does, just scrape off the burned part – the rest is still delicious!
- Serve warm with ice cream, Greek yogurt or whipped cream on top if desired. These are also great served cold from the fridge the next day!