Double Chocolate Protein Zucchini Muffins are an amazing way to get veggies, whole grains, healthy fats and protein all in one bite!
For going on 2 years (2 FLIPPING YEARS!) I have been making my grain free pumpkin chocolate chip pancakes a couple times a week for breakfast. My kids and husband love them, and we’re creatures of habit so I never really deviated that much from the standard. No need to fix what’s not broken, you know what I mean?
But lately – as in since the start of school – I’ve been changing up the routine a little with Kodiak Cakes. This is in no way sponsored (although it would be nice if it was – ha!), but we have been big fans of their protein mixes for a while. They’re perfect for those in-a-pinch breakfast needs, and this is no exception!
One thing That I really love about my pancake recipe is the fact that it’s getting lots of good, healthy fats, protein, and veggie goodness into my family at the beginning of the day. But who’s to say that it always has to be pumpkin that gets the job done? Since we’re at the tail end of zucchini season and everyone’s trying to get rid of the overgrowth, this is a great way to use them up AND make something delicious and healthy for breakfast!
Now as you all know, I have two kids that are a little wary when it comes to vegetables. They’re usually game to try a veggie, but do they crave them/ask for them/want them? Not so much. So what did I do when they asked what the green things were in the muffins?
Well, I did what any good mother does – I told a little semi-truth. I told them it was edible confetti. They bought it, liked it, and the rest is history! (Although truthfully I told them later that it was zucchini which got me some blank stares. YAY.)
ANYWAY. If you’re looking for a way to get healthy goodness in your family in the mornings (or as a great after school snack), these are just the gems you’ve been looking for. Hope you enjoy!
***as a reminder, I have my favorite kitchen products on my Amazon lists – I highly recommend you check them out!***
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI PROTEIN MUFFINS
Makes 12 muffins
- 1-1/2 cups shredded fresh zucchini
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar OR honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups Kodiak Cakes Double Chocolate Flapjack and Waffle Mix
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a muffin tin with parchment paper muffin cups. You can also grease the tin well, but I’ve found SO much success with the parchment that I highly recommend it.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, oil, yogurt, sugar or honey, and vanilla extract.
- Fold in the zucchini until well mixed.
- Pour the dry mix into the wet ingredients, then pour the chocolate chips on top. This allows you to coat the chocolate chips so they don’t sink to the bottom without dirtying another bowl.
- Fold everything together until mixed.
- Scoop evenly into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly before removing from the pan.
- Enjoy warm or at room temperature! You can store in an airtight container at room temperature for a couple days (if they last that long)!
Leave a Reply