Fear not dear friends: these lovelies are not the time-intensive (although completely worth it) French macaron. There is a difference, although both are great gluten-free options if you’re into that kind of thing, but one of the biggest and most appealing for me is the fact that macaroons are typically thrown together in minutes flat.
It’s Friday so I want to keep this short and sweet: you should totally make these this weekend. They’re rich and chocolatey, and despite the fact that they look like lumps of coal probably one of the yummiest little bites ever. I can’t recommend using the granulated coffee enough; it makes a BIG difference in flavor. Extra chocolatey, extra yummy…trust me. Feel free to use sweetened or unsweetened coconut flakes; whatever you have on hand will be fine. I’ve tried them both ways, and while the sweetened coconut makes for an (obviously) sweeter cookie you really can’t go wrong either way.
Much love y’all!
CHOCOLATE COCONUT MACAROONS
Makes 12 cookies
- 1-1/3 cups shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 whole egg
- Preheat oven to 325 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- In a large bowl mix together all of the ingredients until well combined.
- Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon measure, portion out 12 cookies.
- Roll the cookies into small balls and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake at 325 for 20 minutes.
- Let cool completely before serving.