This Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Breakfast Power Skillet is a hearty and nutrition-dense way to start any day! By combining the fiber and nutrients in butternut squash and cauliflower, plus a perfect runny egg and avocado, you’ll have a power skillet that will keep anyone full and feeling great all morning!
I’ve admitted this to you all before, but when it comes to food I find myself in a breakfast rut all the time. I’m a busy mom who needs to have energy to chase after her kids while working full-time for myself, and so often I can get to the point in the morning where I’m just hangry! Trust me – it’s not a good place to be.
And I’m not talking intermittent fasting because while it’s another post for another time, I think it’s more something that I’ll practice on an every other month basis. These mornings where I’m getting two kiddos out the door with all their things, on time, and looking sharp? Well, these are the mornings that make life a little bonkers! I’ve found that I do much better when I enjoy a super-hearty breakfast, then taper my meals off later in the day and enjoy a smaller meal at night.
One of the best ways to make this breakfast go even faster is to pre-chop all your veggies at the start of the week. Y’all, hopping on that meal prep train is HARD, but when I do it? IT’S SOOOOOO WORTH IT! When I can just grab and go all week long it literally changes the trajectory of my days, makes food fun again, and creates so much less stress in our home in the evenings. I’m imperfect with it (as with everything else), but man alive does it make a difference!
I would also highly recommend – for faster cooking – making sure that your cauliflower florets are all smaller (think about 1-inch) and as evenly sized as you can get them. With the butternut squash it’s good to have them about 1/2-3/4 of an inch – again, for faster cooking. It really does make all the difference!
And last, with the eggs – if you’re only willing to use one skillet then you’ll have to work in batches, cooking the eggs after dishing out the veggies. If you’re looking for speed though? Just grab another skillet! No big deal.
Y’all, may this skillet make your tummies and your minds happy as you dominate your day!
BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND CAULIFLOWER BREAKFAST POWER SKILLET
- 2 cups fresh cauliflower florets, about 1-inch in size
- 2 cups fresh cubed butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon each of salt, pepper, garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each of smoked paprika and onion powder
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon butter (I love Kerrygold – not sponsored!)
- 1 whole avocado, sliced
- Combine the cauliflower and butternut squash in a large skillet (about 12 inches) with about 1 inch of water in the bottom.
- Heat over medium high heat until the water begins to slowly simmer.
- Cook the cauliflower and squash for about 2-3 minutes in the simmering water, or until both veggies are about 1/2-way done (a fork should only go in easily about halfway through).
- Carefully strain out the water, then immediately toss the veggies with the olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika and onion powder.
- Turn the temperature down to medium.
- Cook until done and slightly charred, stirring frequently.
- Remove the veggies to the serving plates, then return the skillet to the stovetop.
- Add the butter, then add the eggs.
- Cook the eggs until your desired doneness.
- Serve the eggs on top of the veggies with half of the avocado.
- Season with additional salt, pepper and smoked paprika if desired.