10 Must-Read Books for Every Entrepreneur is a list of books that are guaranteed to motivate and kickstart any entrepreneurial pursuit.
You’ve seen them everywhere: raving reviews of the hottest new book. A podcast dedicated solely to an author’s newly published tome (life hack: don’t want to read the book? Listen to a podcast featuring the author). End caps in every store displaying the coolest new read in self-help, sure you rocket you to stardom overnight.
Yes, we see them everywhere – but what are the ACTUAL BEST BOOKS for entrepreneurs to read? My answer is twofold: the best ones are the books that will actually help you get your butt in gear AND/OR that will help you hone your creative lens on the world. Of course this means that this list is completely subjective; however, these books have touched thousands of lives through solid advice and a well-worded kick in the rear. Read them with an open mind, apply the wisdom within that speaks to you, and see how much your business and your life can grow. These are books that can change your life!
A quick note, I check these out from my local library, but I’ve included links here for you to purchase on Amazon should you so wish. Please note that these links are are affiliate links and purchases made through them help to fund this sweet little operation 😉
10 Must-Read Books for the Entrepreneur
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. A book all about how mindset will 100% change your destiny. If you believe you can, if you can SEE it happening, you’d be surprised the changes that will occur in your life and your business.
- Make Your Bed by Admiral William H. McRaven. Small things that you can do to change your life…and possibly the world. I fully believe that every small action has infinitely bigger results than we could ever imagine. I loved the actionable steps that create larger change!
- Smart Couples Finish Rich (also, Smart Women Finish Rich) by David Bach. Mid-2019 I realized I had no clue what I was doing with my money or anything at all about our finances in general. I randomly found these books in a Google search, and my view on money hasn’t been the same ever since! This book is easy to read, gives great advice, tells great stories, and has tons of actionable items that will help you on your road to financial freedom.
- The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell. I love reading anything by Malcolm Gladwell because his writing challenges me to see the world differently than I normally do. I love the way it helps me to see past my current worldview to see patterns I would otherwise have missed before. Outliers is an incredible read as well.
- Girl, Stop Apologizing and Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis. Many people have weighed in on whether they love Rachel Hollis or not, but I think she’s a brilliant business woman who has made a career out of beautifully pointing out how to actually change your life and business. Yes, it’s hard work. Yes, you’ll have to try harder. But this is solid advice that will help you in your entrepreneurial pursuits, and entertaining to read as well!
- Building a Storybrand by Donald Miller. I love this one because it’s straight up great advice on things you can do to really amp up your marketing and sales efforts in one fell swoop. Donald Miller’s podcast, of the same name, is a great place to learn as well!
- Start. by Jon Acuff. For anyone needing a swift kick in the butt to get moving, this is the book for you. Plus Jon Acuff is hilarious, talented, and successful (which he’s proven time and again). This is one that will help you to overcome fear and do the work that truly matters to you. It’s also the first personal development book I ever read, and one that will stick with me forever!
- The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson. Inspiring, encouraging, motivational. There are many reasons to read this book, but these are mine! A book that provides actual results from small actions taken in your daily life? Yes, I’ll take a dose of that. I loved reading this recommendation from leaders in my organization, and I think you’ll love reading it too.
- Tools of Titans by Tim Ferriss. YOU GUYS. I love this book for so many reasons. It’s easy to read, gives great advice from a TON of successful people. It’s distilled into smaller chapters so you don’t get a ton of flowery language, but the actual meat of what the person has to offer. This is a big book, and worth every penny and every minute you spend reading it.
- Liver Rescue by Anthony William. Seems weird to include this book, in this list doesn’t it? But here’s the deal: if you don’t take care of your body, your business and the rest of your life will absolutely suffer. Did you know I’ve been following the celery juice protocol for over a year, and not once have I regretted it? There are so many amazing benefits of taking care of your liver (and your entire body), and this is well worth the read to do just that.
A few more you may enjoy
In the “Honorable Mention But You Should Totally Read These Anyway Whether You Have Kids or Not” category, we have this trio of goodness from Kobi Yamada. I first laid eyes on What Do You Do With an Idea? at our local museum while my kids played, and I absolutely fell in love with it. Now, every time we hit up the library or go to a book store, I purposely seek these out and re-read them because they are SUCH solid books that speak to anyone, young and old.
I serve in the childrens’ ministry at our church, and they once said something that really stuck with me and applies to most things in life. They said, “If you can explain the Gospel to a child in a way they understand, then that’s pretty solid evidence that you truly grasp it yourself.” The same goes for issues like what to do with a problem, an idea, or a chance – and these books simplify those much larger topics in a way that children and adults can understand. I think any good entrepreneur should have a copy of these books as well!
So there you have it: 10 must-read books for every entrepreneur. This list is not set in stone, and there’s a likelihood that some of you may disagree with me, and that’s OK. But What I will promise you is that if you read through these and apply at least some of the knowledge in them, you will see growth happen in your life and in your business.
And let’s face it: isn’t that what we all want anyway? Yes, and yes. Enjoy!