My dinner up there? Half-eaten. Basically one of the most taboo food blogging things ever, committed by yours truly, but in the name of good food (and healthy food…fast) I just couldn’t not tell you guys about this dinner.
For starters, here’s the OG 9×13 dinner recipe. Just so you have that one in your back pocket too.
Here’s what we’re going to do, though: we’re going to swap out one ingredient and make it easy and super accessible for just about anyone. We’re going to nix the chicken-apple sausage from the first recipe (which is amazing, by the way) because in my experience it can either be hard to find or fairly pricey. In it’s place? Plain ol’ chicken breast that we’ve cubed up.
It took me a while to make this change, even at the urging of my husband, because I wasn’t totally sure it would work with raw meat and I didn’t want to take a chance on getting sick. After last night’s feast, though, I’m happy to report that it works fabulously with cubed chicken too. You could even do chicken thighs (SOUNDS DELICIOUS) if that’s your jam! Y’all enjoy!
AN UPDATED 9X13 DINNER
- 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon seasoning of choice (Italian seasoning, BBQ seasoning, Old Bay, etc)
- salt and pepper as needed
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Cut the onion into 1-inch pieces.
- Seed the pepper and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Peel and chop the sweet potato into 1-inch pieces.
- Toss everything with the olive oil and seasoning in a 9- x 13-inch baking dish.
- Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Bake at 400º F for 1 hour, stirring halfway through.
- Let cool for about 5-10 minutes before digging in.
Leave a Reply