Simple Zucchini Breakfast Bowl with Herbed Breadcrumbs makes a hearty and healthy morning meal. Packed with veggies, protein, and flavor – this is one breakfast you’ll make on the regular.
It’s that time of year again, y’all – the time where I’m barely holding on to any piece of healthy eating by the teeniest shred of willpower. Like most of you, I’m sure, I tend to over-commit around this time of year, and at the end of the day pour my tired self into our bed and pray for a full night’s sleep. Someone please tell me this is normal?
Regardless, the whole healthy eating thing tends to fall so easily to the side when I see a fast food place around dinner time with two cranky kids, or have a buffet of donuts and kolaches offered at volunteer, or decide that it’s the holidays for crying out loud – a cookie never hurt anyone, right?
This whole discipline thing is hard y’all!
One thing I’ve been trying to do is have green smoothies on the regular, but the reality is that if smoothie time coincides with a certain baby’s naptime, I choose a peaceful nap every time. Fitting in veggies without too much prep and without a noisy blender can be hard…but we’re going to put an end to that today!
I really can’t go on and on enough about how amazing spiralizing tools are. I have probably the cheapest one out there and it has more than paid for itself in healthy meals at this point. I use it to make bowls like this all the time, and it works for any meal! The easiest veggie to spiralize is zucchini, but it also works great with sweet potatoes. YUM!
The point is this: I really have no excuse to eat like crap anymore because this meal is phenomenal and comes together so fast. Plus it’s really satisfying, which is hard to find in most breakfast recipes. So here’s to making healthier eating a thing before January hits!
SIMPLE ZUCCHINI BREAKFAST BOWL WITH HERBED BREADCRUMBS
Serves 1, but can be multiplied to any number
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat a small skillet over medium heat.
- While the skillet is heating, spiralize the zucchini using a spiralizing tool OR shave it into ribbons using a vegetable peeler.
- When the skillet is hot, add 1 tablespoon of the butter or oil.
- Add the zucchini and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Saute for about 2-3 minutes until slightly tender.
- Remove the zucchini to a bowl.
- In the same skillet add the remaining tablespoon of butter or oil.
- Slowly crack the egg into the center of the fat to prevent the whites from running all over the pan.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Let the egg cook for about 2-4 minutes; you want the white to be firm and the yolk to be golden and runny.
- While the egg is cooking, toss together the remaining ingredients to make the breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle half of the breadcrumb mixture on top of the zucchini.
- When the egg is finished cooking, top the zucchini and breadcrumbs with it.
- Finish the egg off with the remaining breadcrumbs.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Leave a Reply