Want to know something? I think I’m in danger of (and by “in danger of” I mean it’s already happened) of overdoing it. You know how yesterday I said that being pregnant with a toddler is a different game than being pregnant the first time around? I wasn’t kidding, and I’m looking at the next 8-ish weeks a little more warily than before.
See, with Wes I was able to work, workout, build my brand and still find the time to rest. Now I’m doing all of those things plus chasing my adorable little dude around, which is leading to some straight up exhaustion. And you know what? I hate the fact that I’m so tired – I’m equating it to weakness – but I love both of the reasons that it’s happening. God is showing me that I need rest, I need to sit, I need to allow others (namely my husband) to help and to take care of me. That forced rest is hard to swallow, but I’m working on seeing it as a blessing. At the very least I know that it has to happen. That’s the thing about motherhood, it’s not about me and what I want. It’s about what’s best for my baby.
So in the midst of all of that – we still have to eat, right? Only now it’s got to be simple to make and still healthy. I love this super easy Ranch-flavored brown rice because it takes just a second to throw together, then the stove does the rest. Done and done, right? We had this with grilled chicken and Pioneer Woman’s fresh green beans, and it was heavenly. Simple, yummy, easy. All about it!
RANCH-FLAVORED BROWN RICE
Makes 2 cups of rice
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 2 tablespoons Ranch dressing mix
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- Combine all ingredients in a small 2-quart saucepan fitted with a lid.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 45-50 minutes (or however long your particular rice says to cook it) til the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- Let the rice sit off the heat for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork and serve.