Let me tell you guys a little story.
When I was about 24 years old I was working as a personal trainer from 5am-6pm, driving through North Dallas traffic on the daily, and taking masters-level courses in dietetics. Not an easy load by any means, and certainly not what I would recommend on do if they get sick. But I did…get sick, that is. It was a weird feeling – just achy and fevery (although I never thought to take my temperature) at first, and then when that subsided I started to get these weird little blisters all over my hands and feet. My throat was sore. I didn’t feel deathly ill anymore, but I didn’t feel awesome.
So one day I was at work (yes, I know) and starting Web MD-ing my symptoms only freak myself out with the thought that I had shingles. Suddenly a co-worker appeared behind me and asked what the heck I was doing. After I told her all the symptoms she laughed and said I had hand foot and mouth disease, something that’s usually reserved for little kids. Sure enough that’s what I had – and it SUCKED.
Fast forward 10 years later and lo and behold my little guy has a crazy fever, feels like crap, and complains that his mouth hurts. I take him to the doctor almost praying that it’s strep or an ear infection – something treatable. And lo and behold, my dude has hand foot and mouth. And as terrible as I felt when I had it I would take all the symptoms on ten-fold if I could just take them away from him!
So the moral of the story? Well, don’t go to work when you’re sick (duh) and if your kiddo has HFMD you should know it sucks. And that it will be contagious for a while. And that you have to ride it out and that ibuprofen will become a good friend of yours for about a week or so.
That was my week – how was yours?! I’ll be heading to Austin this weekend to go to my baby sister’s baby shower and I’m beyond excited. I hope y’all enjoy these lovely links!!!
- Homemade chocolate bars and all the things you want in them. Yes, yes I DO want these and all the things in them!
- We’re not flying anytime soon, but for those of you who are? These tips for flying with little kids are right on point!
- Classic style tips from a grandmother. Love these!
- I’ve got all the heart eyes for these crispy buffalo brussels sprouts – WOW!
- I didn’t even know we hadn’t found Christopher Columbus’ ships…did you?
- Give me ALL THE PIE – this caramel apple slab pie to be exact.
- All the girl power y’all. I don’t believe this is exclusive to women, but I do think we are predisposed to creating massively successful things that help others along the way. Check out 4 women who have done/are doing just that!
- Who’s interested in reading books that inspire bravery? I just added this list to my list.
- What it’s like to shop at TJMaxx…online. Died laughing at this one!
- AN ENTIRE LOAF OF CROISSANTS – IS THIS REAL LIFE?!