Welcome back from the weekend friends! I hope you had a great one! We finally had some sunshine after all the crazy rain, which meant a LOT of outside time. It’s been amazing to look back at this time last year and see how different everything is now. Last year A was still practically a newborn and it was really hard for me to get outside during the heat with him. Nursing and napping every 3 hours makes for some a hectic summer schedule, and I had to get creative if I was going to get W to the pool or outside to play at all.
That’s not to say there aren’t some really sweet memories that came from that time. I remember there was a day where both boys were worn out after a long morning of swimming and I got my first EVER 2-hour stretch where both boys were asleep. It was magical.
And then they woke up. Apparently I had forgotten to police the amount of water W drank and he was dehydrated with a headache, and that resulted in a screaming fit for an hour after waking up. A needed to nurse, which was a nightmare with a screaming preschooler clambering for my lap. Finally, after a dose of ibuprofen and a big glass of water W calmed down, A was happy after a good nursing, and I ordered pizza. It sounds crazy, but I look back at that day with such fondness despite the initial panic that I felt with two screaming boys.
So it’s summer and I’m excited to make even more memories with these crazy boys I’ve been blessed with. One thing we really are enjoying right now are fresh tomatoes off of our cherry tomato plant and fresh basil off the back porch. As a former tomato-hater I have to say there’s a significant different in devouring the good stuff that’s been vine-ripened and lovingly cared for in your own back yard. A little whole milk mozzarella and balsamic marinated grilled chicken makes a meal that screams SUMMER! in the tastiest way possible!
SIMPLE BALSAMIC CAPRESE CHICKEN
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups quartered fresh cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup cubed whole milk mozzarella
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- Combine the balsamic vinegar, water, oil, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and black pepper in a gallon-sized resealable bag.
- Add the chicken, remove the air, and refrigerate for 4-6 hours to marinate.
- To cook the chicken, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and place in a 9- x 13-inch baking dish.
- Bake at 400 for 10 minutes, then turn the chicken and bake for another 10-15 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- While the chicken is cooling, combine the cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, fresh basil, olive oil, and red pepper flakes.
- Toss to combine.
- Thinly slice the chicken and serve the caprese salad on top.