Man oh man. In addition to the fact that the little dude (who had a MEAN case of the hiccups last night) doesn’t have a name yet, I have something to admit: he does not yet have a nursery.
Now, I’m a pretty realistic person. He doesn’t HAVE to have a room. He could sleep in a dresser drawer (or the pack & play my amazing brother & sister in law got us!) and be totally fine. But the fact remains that we have a room in this house for him and it’s not even a little bit close to done and ready for a little guy to come home to. And the fact remains that nesting has taken over my mind and body and I will likely panic about the lack of nursery decor until it’s actually done.
It’s what I do – panic over things that don’t really matter. Hey, everyone has their thing!
That being said, here’s what I want in his nursery:
- BRIGHT colors! I know everyone has their thing and there’s clearly a very large market for pastels and baby blues and the like, but I am just not a fan. Colors are beautiful and we want him to be surrounded by bright, vibrant, stimulating colors from day one! That being said, we’re not going to be painting his room, so the bulk of color is going to come from photos of the trips we’ve taken and the blanket/bumper that my mom is making for us with this really great fabric we picked out. Once it’s all set up I’ll obviously post photos, but this little guy’s going to love color from day one!
- A beachy theme. OK OK, we live in Colorado and it’s beautiful here – we are very blessed. BUT I’ve always been more of a beach girl and Nate adores water, so we’re going with a surfer/beach theme in the nursery too. I keep saying he’s going to be so confused when he figures out there’s actually not much water here…but we’ll cross that bridge when we get there!
- Pictures of family. We don’t have any immediate family here and want him to always be surrounded by faces of people who love him. Pictures of all his grandparents and aunts, uncles, and cousins are going to be around him all the time. And obviously his fur-brother and fur-sister…obviously.
- Clean and organized space. Nate and I are pretty minimalist when it comes to baby things and want to keep his space clean and organized. We’re planning on utilizing shelving, drawers, and storage stuff in the closet as much as we can and what doesn’t fit? We probably don’t need it!
- Lots of light. We’re planning on having light-blocking curtains for the times that he’s sleeping, but the rest of the time we want him to feel the warmth of the sun and see the beauty of light around him. Keeping the nursery open and airy is a big priority!
You know, now that I think of it there’s probably a lot more that I’m going to think of over the coming days, but for now those are the big things.
What do you want in your nursery? And what are some inexpensive ways that you’ve decorated in the past? We’re always down for tips and tricks!