Ever since I read this post on bulletproof coffee I’ve been super intrigued. It’s one of those things I had everything needed to make it, but something about butter in coffee just felt strange.
But y’all? I BIT THE BULLET. And it was goooooooood!
The original recipe is certainly good, but I’ll be honest: the protein powder made it chalky and I wasn’t a fan. So after nixing the protein powder and playing around with the other ingredients I found a really delicious blend that makes this bulletproof recipe taste like THE best vanilla latte you’ve ever had in your life.
A few quick notes:
- I actually tried this with regular non-grassfed butter and it was blech. No bueno. You really want to do the grassfed, not only for the health benefits, but because it tastes like heaven. Kerrygold is my butter of choice here.
- You can use MCT oil, but I have coconut oil all the time and see no reason to spend extra for another product. Do what you will though!
- The stevia is good, but not 100% necessary if you ask me. If you use good coffee then that plus the coconut oil and butter should add sufficient sweetness. Feel free to sweeten however you desire!
- This is in no way sponsored, but I am loving my manual coffee grinder these days. Fresh ground coffee makes all the difference in the world, and this is great for small batches and for quiet grinding in the early morning hours.
I can’t speak to the science of this drink, but I can tell you that I feel great after drinking it and don’t get hungry or tired for hours afterwards. Plus the fats make a great little chapstick while you’re drinking it 😉
THE BEST BULLETPROOF COFFEE
- 12 ounces hot brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or MCT oil)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted grass-fed butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon liquid stevia
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- Combine everything in a blender and blend on high for about 10-20 seconds.
- Alternately you could combine them in a large bowl and use an immersion blender, or even in a food processor, although the blender method is by far the easiest and yields the best results.