Sunny Lemon Herb Sauce is a bright and beautiful way to brighten up any dish and bring some sunshine to the dinner table!
I’ve been thinking about a lot of things lately – how much this blogging space has changed over the past couple of years, where I want to go with it, reconsidering truths that I’ve held tightly to for a long time, healing from some major events, working through parenting in new seasons. The list goes on and on, and although I’ve been a little delinquent on here lately I have to say: I’m not sorry.
But Heather, isn’t this your job? Shouldn’t you just push through since this is how you make money?
Well, truthfully no. I’m thankful that because I’ve developed another stream of revenue through Beautycounter I’ve been able to take a step away from the blog for a big to get my mind right. A dear friend put it like this the other day: God is creating content IN you. That couldn’t be more true, and for me to really honor that process I had to stop and do the bare minimum for a bit. It might exclude me from some opportunities, but that’s probably because those opportunities weren’t for me to begin with.
Either way, one thing I’ve been thinking about is how to reconcile the fact that we eat a lot of the same things every week and are trying to stay on budget for food with the fact that I’m technically a food blogger and therefore almost required to come up with new recipes every day. The two seemingly don’t co-exist, you know? I look at so many of these amazing bloggers I call my friends, and the truth is that I have no idea what they do with all the food they make. The lifestyle of being a food blogger just hasn’t fit where we’re at lately; however, I feel like I thought of an idea that would resound with the rest of you who are trying to eat well, be consistent, and stay on budget. While this may not be the answer to all of life’s dilemma’s, and I’m also wary to say that it’s going to be a series, it’s a good enough solution for now!
Let’s paint the picture for you: we eat a lot of lean protein, roasted veggies, salads, legumes, and some cooked grains for most of our meals. I keep it simple and pretty much get the same things every week so that we don’t get too far off budget, and so that I know what I can make on any given week. That being said, it can get a little boring. Until I remembered that sauces can be changed up and can literally make an entire meal! I started looking for ways to create simple, healthy sauces that would change up the food we were eating, and all of a sudden dinner started to get exciting again.
So for those of you who, like us, are keeping is simple but want it to feel exciting, stay tuned as I share more of the sauces we love that have made healthy eating exciting again. We’ll kick off this non-series with my most recent favorite: sunny lemon herb sauce!
SUNNY LEMON HERB SAUCE
Makes 4-6 servings
- 3 tablespoons minced red onion or shallot
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley (or 2 tablespoons fresh)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2-1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste (about 1/4 teaspoon of each)
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor, blender, or use an immersion blender.
- Process until a smooth, thick sauce forms, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Season to taste, then serve on top of anything you want! I love it with cucumbers, carrots, on top of legumes, swirled into hummus, stirred into Greek yogurt for a quick Mediterranean style dip, and the acidity is magic with roasted potatoes. E
Leave a Reply