HELLO y’all! Can I just say that I am STILL in shock that it’s July…and not only that, a 1/3 of the way in?! This summer has flown by, in large part to travel, starting and finishing the latest season of House of Cards, and beginning The Unstoppable Kimmy Schmidt (which is now my favorite show). That’s a lot of TV, right?
It’s also gotten hot here, which means that cooking as little as possible is kind of amazing. We still do a lot of grilled chicken in bulk and then just figure out the sides as we go. The other day I dug through the ol’ pantry and found a can of pinto beans and a can of corn and knew just how to fancy it up for dinner!
This salad is seriously addictive, and can be made with fully fresh or fully canned ingredients – whatever you have, whatever you like. It’s imperative that you use red onion and fresh garlic, though, for maximum flavor especially if you’re using canned ingredients. And while the feta certainly is an amazing addition you can omit it for a dairy-free option and add avocado instead. Double or triple the recipe if you’re feeding a crowd, and don’t be scared to serve this goodness over shredded lettuce for a fantastic larger salad!
SUMMERY CORN, PINTO BEAN AND FETA SALAD
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Place the beans, corn, onion and feta in a large bowl and toss lightly to combine.
- In a small bowl combine the remaining ingredients and whisk well to combine.
- Pour over the bean mixture and toss to combine.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.