Man oh man, yesterday was a doozy!
My poor little guy, three days before his second birthday, spiked a mighty fever accompanied by a bunch of green stuff and a nasty cough. Saddest thing ever, seeing these babies when they’re sick! After a sleepless night for the two of us we finally got him in to see the doctor…
…just in time to get him a flu swab, a strep swab, a finger prick and a chest X-ray. Inconsolable doesn’t really come close to describing him at the office after all that, and my shirt was soaked in tears, etc.
There are days when this work-from-home gig is just not remotely glamorous, and yesterday was one of those. I’m so thankful for the chance to work from home and have the freedom to take my kids to the doctor at any time. But man alive if I wasn’t dead tired yesterday after it all!
It’s important for me to keep things simple on days like yesterday, and these croutons d-e-l-i-v-e-r! I used them to top some chocolate chili, and they were just amazing. I can’t wait to use the leftovers tonight on a big garden salad, not to mention they’d be great crumbled on top of beans, any soup, or whatever you want to add a little extra crunch to!
SIMPLE CORNBREAD CROUTONS
- 4 cups cubed cornbread of choice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the cornbread cubes in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle evenly with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoned salt.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Let cool slightly before serving.
- Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container.