I wish I could tell you guys the number of times I’ve gone online in search of an amazing mug cake recipe only to be just SO disappointed by the outcome. I’m a pretty easy person to please, and being practiced cook I know I’m probably not messing up that many recipes. So what’s the deal? Why don’t these mug cakes just work and taste great without being all weird in the texture department and requiring a billion random teeny measurements?
Truthfully I don’t know – but I suspect it’s the use of eggs in most of them (side note: I don’t want to whisk an egg and then measure out a tablespoon. Thanks but no thanks). I also know it’s that we’re making a cake in a microwave and not an oven, which means the texture won’t be at all like an oven. That’s life, you know? Sometimes microwaves don’t cook like ovens. We roll with it.
And yet I still searched and searched and came up super short. Nothing tasted great, had a good texture, used minimal ingredients, or cooked according the actual directions. So I went for it and made my own.
I should also throw in here that this has been my breakfast lately, much of which was inspired by my love for Flapjacked’s Mighty Muffins. Those things are great, super convenient, and tasty…but pricey. So I used my go-to Kodiak Power Cakes mix that I use for the boys and put together my own mug muffin. In an actual mug.
And y’all, I’m here to tell you that I would be shocked beyond belief if you this didn’t become your favorite mug cake recipe ever ever ever. Packed with protein and whole grains it stays with you foreeeeeeever, which means it makes the best kind of indulgent-tasting but good-for-you breakfast out there. Trust me guys – this is one recipe you’ll love making!
One quick note: I use very specific brands for this because they work. And while this post is not sponsored in any way, shape or form I will say that I have NOT tried this with any other brands. Proceed at your own risk.
PROTEIN-PACKED CHOCOLATE FUDGE MUG CAKE
- 1/4 cup Kodiak Cakes Protein-Packed Flapjack & Waffle Mix in Dark Chocolate
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter OR almond butter
- 1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips (I like EnjoyLife brand)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Combine all ingredients in a microwave-safe mug until the nut butter is well mixed.
- Microwave on high for 45-55 seconds (this will depend on your microwave strength). You want the center to still be a bit wet looking to keep the fudginess-factor.
- Let cool for about 2 minutes, then dig in and enjoy!