Have you guys heard of sweet potato toast?! I was browsing (read: scouring) Pinterest the other day looking for a fabulous fall haircut that I will likely never get when I rambled across sweet potato toast ideas. I’ve never even heard of of the stuff and there are Pinterest idea for crying out loud!
So in my never-ending quest to consume more veggies I figured there’s no hard in giving this trend a try. Heck, it only requires a toaster and some sweet potatoes – if I didn’t like it I could easily just make something else with ’em. But the great news is that this toast is really delicious! It was totally worth the try, and something I’m planning on making a loooooot of in the coming weeks.
I love having pesto on hand, whether store-bought (my favorite is Mezzeti) or homemade. Pesto is something you should definitely make at home when you have the time, though, because it really is so easy and so fun to play around with! Some of my favorite recipes are this garlicky sweet pea pesto, roasted tri-color pepper pesto, simple arugula pesto or this charred poblano cilantro pesto. All great choices, and these are only the ones that made it on the blog. And every single bit of them would be delicious slathered on some sweet potato toast!
So friends? It’s Monday. Let’s slather it with pesto and call it good, amen? AMEN!
PESTO AVOCADO SWEET POTATO TOAST
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled
- 1/3 cup pesto of choice
- 1 ripe avocado
- red pepper flakes, flaked sea salt, black pepper
- VERY CAREFULLY slice the sweet potato into 1/4-inch slices, lengthwise. I like to slice a little bit off the bottom to make it more stable.
- Place the slices, as they fit, into a toaster. You may have to work in batches.
- Turn the toaster heat all the way up to high.
- Toast on high, twice, until the sweet potatoes are softened and toasted on the outside.
- When the sweet potato slices are done, spread them evenly with the pesto, top with slices of avocado, and sprinkle with red pepper flakes, flaked sea salt and black pepper.