My Perfect Baked Oatmeal Recipe is the best for those who just want simple baked goodness you can eat any day of the week!
Aaaaaaaaaand the oatmeal saga continues. Y’all, never have I ever met anyone else who – like me – both loves and hates two very common favorites: oatmeal and bananas. I have so many emotions about both of these, and it’s so hard to decide if I can actually say that I enjoy them or not.
Here’s where I like bananas: in banana bread or banana cake. Hard stop. I can’t appreciate the texture in smoothies, definitely not in their raw form, and I KNOW it sounds crazy…but I feel like they give me heartburn? Anyone else?
Then there’s oatmeal. I don’t know if you guys followed me 8 years ago, but I ate oatmeal with peanut butter and chocolate EVERY single day in the name of milk production for my (then) newborn son. It tasted like a peanut butter cup, and that is some oatmeal I can get behind. However, the everyday thing died off when I stopped nursing, and I just have other loves when it comes to breakfast most days.
…multiple batches of this baked oatmeal have made appearances in our fridge for weeks now because it’s SO GOOD. It’s a great way to get in some hearty, healthy, gluten-free carbohydrates, and when you top it with Greek yogurt and berries it’s a straight-up treat.
Now I need you to know – there is a LOT of ginger in this. That’s on purpose, because it’s delicious. However, if ginger isn’t your thing you can certainly eliminate it. If you DO decide to use ginger you can easily paste it by grating fresh raw ginger on a microplane, or you can purchase pre-pasted ginger in the produce section of your grocery store. I’ve done both and haven’t noticed a flavor or baking difference at all!
My perfect baked oatmeal really is the perfect way to make oatmeal for anyone who likes (or even kinda-sometimes-likes) to enjoy it with little effort. I hope this is one recipe you can enjoy year-round! Top with berries and yogurt in the summer, honey sweetened applesauce and pecans in the fall, or wedges of citrus and vanilla yogurt in the winter. Whatever you want friend – you’re the boss!
MY PERFECT BAKED OATMEAL RECIPE
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups almond milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh pasted ginger (optional but highly recommended)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients and mix well – as long as you make sure they’re well combined this should just be a 1-bowl situation.
- Lightly grease and 8- x 8-inch baking pan.
- Pour the oatmeal mixture in and evenly spread the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 for 40 minutes, or until the edges start to brown slightly and the middle is not jiggly.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 5-10 minutes before serving, or cool completely and reheat throughout the week as needed.