Y’all, this is not an ad, but I have been obsessed with Fage Total Greek Yogurt lately – like the full-fat, ultra creamy, cheesecake-y thick stuff. I’ve always enjoyed the 2%, but the full-fat is the way to go.
Every morning I’ve been filling a bowl up with frozen wild blueberries and letting them thaw while I read my Bible, fill out my schedule for the day, and do any other work that I need to get done. When the berries have thawed about halfway, I stir in a half cup of Fage Total Greek yogurt, and then top it all with some toasted pecans and this candied coconut.
And then y’all? I sit back and eat tiny spoonfuls of the creamy goodness while I pretend I’m on a beach somewhere and watching the sun rise over the water. It’s a mom thing!
A couple of notes on the recipe in case you’re wondering:
- You must absolutely use unsweetened flaked coconut, otherwise it will be sickeningly sweet and the cooking time will be off. I found mine in the natural foods section at Kroger – Bob’s Red Mill Brand – but you can also find it in the bulk section at Whole Foods. You want thick curls of coconut for this!
- You must absolutely use pure maple syrup. Yes, it is more expensive than pancake syrup, but you don’t use a ton so you’ll get a lot of mileage out of a good bottle. Plus it has nutrients and flavor that you just can’t get from Aunt Jemima!
- I’ve put a bake time in the instructions, but make sure you keep an eye on the coconut especially toward the end of baking. It can turn from perfectly golden to black in a heartbeat, so watch it closely!
Sorry to get so bossy y’all, but goodness like this can’t be messed with and you will WANT these golden candied flakes of deliciousness in your life! Think the ultimate topping for any ice cream sundae, pie with mounds of soft whipped cream, creamy yogurt, or just straight from the container. A touch of cinnamon, should you choose to accept it, will push this over the edge and bring out the maple-ness and coconut even more.
So tomorrow morning you’ll know where to find me – on my imaginary beach – with a big yogurt bowl topped with crunchy coconut! Enjoy!
MAPLE CANDIED COCONUT
Makes 3 cups
- 3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Grease a large baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, coconut oil, cinnamon and salt until smooth and creamy.
- Add the coconut and stir until completely combined.
- Pour onto the baking sheet and spread into one even layer.
- Bake at 325ºF for 13-17 minutes until the coconut turns a medium golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, stir the coconut gently to release from the pan, and then re-spread into an even layer.
- Allow the coconut to cool completely on the sheet pan before storing.
- Should keep in an airtight container for about 2 weeks.
Leave a Reply