Yesterday I heard this song for the first time:
In the eye of the storm // You remain in control // In the middle of the war // You guard my soul // You alone are the anchor // When my sails are torn // Your love surrounds me // In the eye of the storm // When my hopes and dreams are far from me // and I’m runnin’ out of faith // I see the future I picture slowly fade away // And when the tears of pain and heartache // are falling down my face // I find my peace in Jesus’ name.
This week has been beautiful and lovely and filled with kindness, friendship, love. It has also been one of the darkest weeks I’ve had in a very long time and filled with doubt, frustration, angry surrender, lies. I tear up just typing that because admission of those emotions – details aside – makes me see just again how low I really am. That despite the fact that I lead a stupidly charmed life I rarely see past myself to the simultaneous beauty and filth and need for Jesus in this world.
He always reaches down and picks up the pieces and puts them back together again. He heals, he strengthens, he wipes the tears from these tired eyes and he redeems. And I’m so thankful for that.
I’m working through the stuff in my head because I want to share; I believe that the lessons I’m learning aren’t just mine to learn. I believe that the Lord is powerfully at work in my life, constantly. I pray that you guys have a wonderful weekend, that it’s filled with truth and joy. And enjoy these links while you’re at it!
2. Honest portraits of America’s working moms. This is by no means an exhaustive list, but I think it’s beautiful nonetheless. And it makes me really thankful that I get to do my work from home. (PBS)
3. Dad bands. DYING. Best 4 minutes on the Internet this week! (The Late Late Show with James Corden)
4. Some of the cutest kitchen stuff EVAH. (Euna Mae’s)
5. The Sultan of Squeezeboxes – proof that doing what you love can bring happiness, and that doesn’t always mean wealth beyond measure. Loved this video! (Great Big Story)
6. Paris history, past and present. This was incredibly cool and only makes me love Paris even more! (Mashable)
7. Take 90 seconds to understand autism a little more – we all need more compassion and understanding about it! (The National Autistic Society)
8. When you feel too broken to be chosen. ALL THE FEELS in this one guys, and it’s worth the tears and the realizations that we feel this way. (A Holy Experience)
9. Genius smoothie hack – prep ’em ahead! (How Sweet It Is)
10. She only said ‘yes’ once. This is a strong one, but one that I think we all need to read and take to heart. Talking about sex with our kids is important, more so than our own feelings of comfort. Let’s teach them about the beauty and power of it before someone else has the power to mold it into a lie. (For Every Mom)