I am so tired. Tired from our trip to California.
Tired because I can’t seem to get to sleep at a decent hour these days.
Tired because I’m going 100% in my workouts and my body is exhausted.
Tired because I haven’t taken the time to just sit, alone with God, and pray and LISTEN to him. There’s nothing wrong per se, I just feel spiritually exhausted in that I’m not giving myself the time to just rest in his loving arms.
That being said, this is going to be a short post but a good one for anyone who:
- Doesn’t have a dehydrator but loves dried fruit;
- Doesn’t want to spend money on a dehydrator or dried fruit;
- Wants to know exactly how their food is processed;
- Thinks it’s really cool to make fun things like dried lemons in their oven;
- Needs to just rest in the fact that the oven can do all the work except the cutting.
Just to note: I’ve made lemons (great for steeping in hot water or even just putting in a glass of iced tea), apples, apricots and pears. The cooking time for each varies based on how thick the fruit is sliced and the water content; the apricots were just halved and they have a really high water content so I left them in the oven overnight and woke up to perfectly chewy sweet morsels. But if you’re looking for something quick, thinly-sliced apples and/or pears are the way to go! Just let your imagination (and your oven) run wild!
Since this isn’t a exactly a recipe, here’s what you need to do:
- Preheat your oven to 150-185 degrees (I have a convection option on mine which I love and recommend using if you have it. If not it will still work just fine with a regular oven).
- Place an oven-safe rack on a baking sheet.
- Slice your fruit about 1/8-inch thin if you can; a mandolin would be ideal but I don’t have one so I just (carefully) used a sharp knife.
- Lay the fruit slices on the baking sheet and place in the oven for anywhere from 4-12 hours (again, depending on thickness and water content). For me the apples/pears took 4-5 hours, the lemons took 7-8 and the apricots took about 12.
- Let cool and enjoy!
Just have to say I love you guys. The end 🙂
**Edited to add this fun link of how to use the lemons!**
Leave a Reply