Happy Monday y’all! I’m just checking in today with an increeeeeeeeeeeeeeedible smoothie for you.
First let’s talk about this little annoyance, shall we? I really really really hate when people say that healthy versions of things are just the same as the non-healthy version. Case in point: spaghetti squash. Now I can get behind spaghetti squash – it’s good, has great texture, is a nice way to change up the weeknight dinner routine. But it does NOT taste like spaghetti, and is not really even a great substitute as far as I’m concerned.
So I’m here to tell you that if you’re craving a chewy, fudgy, rich brownie because of the texture? Well, you should probably spring for the brownie. But if you’re craving a deeply chocolate, sweet, decadent dessert and you’re OK with it being good for you? Then this smoothie is going to be your JAM!
A couple quick notes: I use this protein powder, this cocoa powder, and this almond butter. Spinach doesn’t have as much of an earthy flavor as kale, so if you’re wanting absolute brownie-ness then spring for the spinach. I like my smoothie extra thick, so if it’s too thin after it’s blended then I blend again with a little ice! Seriously so good, my friends, so good!
HEALTHY BROWNIE SMOOTHIE
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1-1/2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 2 scoops unflavored protein powder – Vital Proteins is the best!
- 1 tablespoon almond butter or peanut butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup frozen pitted cherries
- 1 cup fresh spinach or kale leaves
- stevia to sweeten as desired (I usually do about 1/2 teaspoon or so)
- Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
Leave a Reply