This is another little meal that was actually a dinner we ate that I shared on Instagram and then got an overwhelming response to share the recipe!
(The first one was this yummy portobello pizza number).
The funny thing is that our dinners have been so crazy simple lately that I hardly even think to do recipe posts based on them. This particular supper was created out of chicken breasts, an avocado that was going to turn, some frozen mango and spices. It worked so well together though, and I’m just so thankful that I have a moderately well-stocked fridge for the days that it’s hard to cook anything!
If you can marinate the chicken for a few hours I would highly recommend doing so…it helps tenderize the meat and makes it so juicy! I also garnished mine with a little fresh cilantro from the garden, and I highly recommend using some chopped in the salsa (although I didn’t do it for this photo).
CHILI GRILLED CHICKEN AND MANGO AVOCADO SALSA
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 6 ounces apiece
- 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 whole avocado
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh mango (or frozen and thawed)
- salt and pepper
- chopped cilantro
- First make the marinade by whisking together the juice and zest from one lime with the olive oil, chili powder and honey.
- Place the chicken in a resealable plastic bag and pour the marinade in.
- Remove all the air and seal the bag. Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes, or up to 6 hours.
- To cook the chicken preheat a grill over medium heat.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the chicken for 6-7 minutes on each side, then remove to a plate and allow to rest for 3-5 minutes.
- For the salsa, peel and cube the mango.
- Slice the avocado in half, remove the seed, and cube the flesh.
- Combine the mango, avocado, and the juice from the remaining lime.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve the chicken with the salsa on top and enjoy!