I’m a little disappointed with myself.
I did something I really shouldn’t have done that has now made me wish fall was HERE and NOW. I knew what I was doing when I did it…and I did it anyway.
I watched You’ve Got Mail. And now all I want is freshly sharpened pencils and cappuccinos and twinkle lights.
I always marvel at my desire for a change in season before that change really comes. In a few short months I’ll be pining for Christmas, and then shortly after that I’ll be wishing Spring into our lives. It’s hard at the end of a season to be content with the normality that has emerged from the excitement of the beginning. I never thought of myself as one who really enjoys change, but the older I get the more I look forward to the big changes and milestones to come. I get excited, but always with a little fear of how normal will soon change.
If you guys have been reading for a while you know that I have a continuous love-hate relationship with oatmeal. Typically I love it for about one month and then don’t eat it again for the next 8. Right about now I’m thinking it’s pretty nice, but I’m trying not to let it wear out its welcome – so I’m only allowing myself to eat it for breakfast once or twice a week.
Because unlike my overzealous You’ve Got Mail-watching, oatmeal is something I want to reserve for crisp fall mornings with a steaming cuppa coffee and sleepy snuggles with my boys!
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (I used 2% cow's milk)
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp dried cherries
- 2 Tbsp roasted UNSALTED pistachios, chopped
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Combine the oatmeal, water and milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Stirring frequently, allow the mixture to come to a slight simmer.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes until it reaches the desired thickness.
- Add the cherries and orange zest during the last 30 seconds of cooking.
- Pour into a bowl and top with chopped pistachios.