Boy oh boy, do I have a nice little series for y’all this week!
See, over Christmas we went to lunch with family, and on the menu was this amazing kale salad. I didn’t actually order it, but Nate’s grandmother did and sent the leftovers home with us. The next day I remembered the salad in the fridge, and thinking that I was really hungry and didn’t want another cookie (HELLO CHRISTMAS COOKIES) I dug in.
I feel like I should mention that I don’t actually love kale. I can handle it, but it’s super rare that I find it downright enjoyable. That whole “tastes a little like dirt” thing it has going on isn’t super conducive to making me want to eat it all the time. But knowing that kale is better for the body than cookies got the best of me, and I’m so so so glad it did!
After all the Christmas goodies were gone and we actually had to go grocery shopping again, one of the first things on my list to make was that salad. Into the cart went the kale, the dressing ingredients, the pecans, the dried fruit. I got home, made everything with my own little spin, and voila! The best kale salad I’ve ever had in my life; nay, one of the best salads I’ve ever had in my entire life!
All of the ingredients are great on their own, but if you ask me the thing that MAKES this salad so amazing is the pecans. They’re crunchy and flavorful, adding a little sweet and a little spice to the mix. I love curry, but Nate’s not a big fan so whenever I can find a not-so-in-your-face way to use it I’m all in.
A quick warning: these pecans are totally snackable, so if you’re not one to exhibit self-control (ahem, talking to myself here) then consider yourself warned. Get an accountability partner or you may find you eat the whole batch while they’re still warm!
The next couple days I’m going to share the dressing recipe and then the final salad, so DEFINITELY look forward to that, but in the meantime go ahead and make these babies tonight…you know, to be prepared. Because this is one salad series you won’t want to miss!
BROWN SUGAR CURRY PECANS
Makes 16 ounces
- 16 ounces raw pecan halves
- 1 egg white
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (light or dark both work fine)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 225ºF.
- In a large bowl whisk the egg white until foamy.
- Stir in the pecans, making sure they all get evenly coated with the egg white.
- In a small bowl combine the brown sugar, salt, curry powder, turmeric, and paprika.
- Sprinkle over the pecans, then stir to combine.
- Pour the pecans onto a large sheet pan coated with nonstick spray.
- Bake at 225ºF for 80 minutes.
- Let cool completely on the sheet pan, stirring every now and then to break up the pieces.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks…if you can last that long!