Well friends, we made it! Just a couple steps to making the toppings for this salad, and today we’re going to assemble.
Let’s recap a bit, shall we? I don’t love kale but was compelled to try the kale salad from a local restaurant. It was fabulous. I tweaked a few things to better suite my tastes, then made it a million times between Christmas and now. And today I’m sharing the final product so that YOU TOO can have the best kale salad on the face of the planet. Cool, right?
Yesterday morning A woke up at 5am, which wasn’t really all that terrible because I’m practically a grandmother and went to sleep at 9pm the night before. I also have been meaning to wake up at 5am every day for, oh I don’t know, months now to get work done and be a more present mom. So I guess my little guy took it upon himself to help mom out, right? So sweet!
Anyway, so I’m up and figure I’ll start reading some of the things I’ve been meaning to read for a while now, and it was pretty much glorious. I was so inspired and energized and ready to tackle some big dreams – all before my first cup of coffee. Crazy, right?! Isn’t it amazing how much a little alone time can uplift you? I know that I don’t take advantage enough of the time my boys are sleeping to really pursue the things that breathe into my passions, but it only takes a small reminder to remember that I’m not defined by my status as mom. It’s one of the greatest joys of my life to be mommy to our boys, but it isn’t all that I am. And waking up at 5am Tuesday morning was a good reminder of that.
Here’s to kale salad, taking advantage of quiet time, and remembering who we are when we shed all of our titles! Enjoy!
THE BEST KALE SALAD EVER
Serves 2-4 people
- 2 bunches fresh kale, washed well, ribs removed, and roughly chopped
- 1 small bulb fennel, white parts only, sliced extremely thin
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar curry pecans
- 1 recipe apricot vinaigrette (about 3/4 cup)
- The day before or a few hours before serving, toss the kale and sliced fennel with the dressing until well combined and refrigerate until ready to use.
- When ready to serve, top the kale with the cherries, feta, apricots and pecans and toss to combine.