I’m happy to report that after 4 weeks without an oven/range we are now back in working order! That means no more baking casseroles in a toaster oven, no more microwaving meals and no more crock pots every day of the week. Now trust me, I have nothing against crock pots…y’all should know by this time that I love ’em and that they are truly lifesavers.
But every day? It was time for that dang part to come in and to have at least a stove option.
But even though I just complained for 200 words about how we didn’t have our stove, it’s not to say that nothing came of it. This lovely tortellini soup came to pass and was an instant hit! I say serve with a simple salad, some fresh bread + butter and friends. Because there’s no reason to make a ton of soup if you’re not sharing it with loved ones, amen?
- 1 lb Italian sausage, browned
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach
- 12 ounces fresh cheese tortellini
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- Combine the sausage, tomatoes, stock, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning in a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 3-4 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, set out the cream cheese to soften.
- 10 minutes before serving, remove 1 cup of the hot liquid from the crock pot and stir into the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the spinach and tortellini to the crock pot and cover for 10 minutes.*
- Test the tortellini for desired doneness, then stir in the cream cheese mixture.
- Serve hot.
*Alternatively you could boil the pasta separately according to package directions and then add the tortellini as desired. This option is good for those who won’t be eating all of the soup at once to keep the pasta from getting mushy in the soup.