Raise your hand if you love chocolate.
WHOA. THERE’S A LOT OF YOU!
Well, I have good news for you. I have chocolate. The dark kind. Sweetened naturally with dates and honey. So you can get excited about having a healthier dessert option any time you want! HURRAY!
Here’s the thing: this isn’t a sugar-free shindig, but that’s totally OK. Treats don’t always have to be sugar-free to be healthy, and this is certainly the case here. Local honey and soaked pitted dates add so much flavor, although maple syrup could also be a great sweetening agent. Pure vanilla extract is key to adding sweetness without extra sugar (even the natural kind), too, so you get even more bang for your buck!
I have to say, having these little squares around when the sweet tooth hits has been huge for me. A little square served with a cup of decaf in the afternoons is quite the little pick-me-up, which is exactly what I need after a full day before I pick my big boy up from school. Definitely NOT the last time I’ll be making this recipe!
NATURALLY SWEETENED HOMEMADE DARK CHOCOLATE
Makes 16 servings
- 1 (4 oz) 100% cacao chocolate bar, chopped
- 6 pitted dates, soaked
- 1/8-1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan melt the coconut oil over low heat.
- Add the chocolate and honey and stir to combine.
- Gently melt the ingredients together, stirring frequently.
- Add the chocolate mixture to a blender and add the soaked dates.
- Pulse to combine, then puree the entire mixture.
- Pour onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread the chocolate mixture into a thin layer.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours and then slice into squares.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to eat.