GAH! First of all, thank you guys SO MUCH for your sweet comments/emails/messages and over support and encouragement on the start of my Etsy shop! It means so much to know that I have this community rallying around me and pushing me to pursue new things, scary as they may be. Y’all are the best 🙂
I have a confession to make today: I don’t think I’ve gone without dessert for at least 6 months now. Every.SINGLE.day I have had something sweet to cap off my meal, maybe even multiple times a day, and when I say dessert I don’t mean a square of chocolate. I mean a cookie, some cake, a truffle here, bag O’ candy there. It’s pathetic really, especially considering that before W came along 3 years ago I was definitely not a dessert person. I’ve always enjoyed salty and spicy more than sweet, but once I got pregnant – BAM! I couldn’t get enough sugar!
I’ve thought about doing a sugar detox, but I don’t do well with following hard and fast rules so I figured the next best thing would be to make dessert into something super fresh and good for me. Stuff like fruit and yogurt, or maybe just a popsicle or extra smoothie. Something sweet enough to be sweet, but not so sweet that my inner addict can’t stop once the wheels are in motion. And isn’t the best time to do this in the summer? When the fruit is at its peak and just so juicy and good. Pair that great selection with a grill and daylight til 9pm and I’m in healthy dessert heaven.
The time hasn’t come yet for peaches around here, although we’re already making plans to go pick some soon. I was at the store the other day and there was an abundance of pineapple at shockingly low prices, so I bought a few and have been devouring them ever since. It’s my favorite fruit of all time, and I use it in smoothies, yogurt, or just with a fork out of the fridge. SO DANG GOOD.
When Pasolivo reached out and asked if I wanted to try their olive oil (in super cute containers nonetheless) I couldn’t say no, and when I brought home those pineapples I knew it was destined to be. This olive oil pairs perfectly with the grilled fruit, and with a touch of honey and sea salt you can get that sweet-salty combo that is so hot right now and not even feel a little bit bad about it. Although I’m working hard to not run to the store for some vanilla ice cream, vanilla ice cream would be fantastic with this.
GET IN MY BELLY!
CITRUS OLIVE OIL AND HONEY GRILLED PINEAPPLE
Serves 4, but can be easily multiplied
- 1 fresh, ripe pineapple
- 2 tablespoons Pasolivo Citrus Olive Oil
- 4 tablespoons honey (locally sourced if possible)
- sea salt
- Preheat grill over a medium flame. Ultimately you want the temperature to be about 500°F.
- Prep the pineapple by slicing off the top 3/4 of an inch and the bottom 3/4 of an inch.
- Stand it up on the flat bottom and, working carefully, slice down the sides (try to keep the natural curve of the fruit) to remove the exterior.
- Slice the pineapple into lengthwise quarters.
- Brush the olive oil on all sides of the pineapple, being sure to coat every slice evenly. This not only adds flavor but keeps the fruit from sticking!
- When the grill is hot, place the pineapple slices on the grate and grill, covered, for about 2 minutes per sides.
- Remove from the grill and serve immediately with 1 tablespoon of honey per slice and a sprinkle of sea salt.
*This is not a sponsored post; however, Pasolivo sent me their product to try free of charge. All opinions are my own!*