This post is sponsored by Product for Kids. All opinions are my own.
Ah, the plight of the picky eater’s mom. We don’t have it easy, you know. Pouring love and wisdom and time and money into meals that are rejected in mere moments – want the real real? It can be heartbreaking at times! To just know that you want so much for this kiddo and that they can’t stand what you’re bringing them to eat for fuel – well, honestly it hurts.
I’ve been guilty of giving up for a few days at a time because I just need a break from the emotional hardship that is having a picky kid who abhors vegetables. Sometimes mom just needs a break, you know?
However, I will say that I have had some (not 100%) success with hiding vegetables in other foods. Smoothies are a stand-by because you really can render things undetectable, but not everyone wants a smoothie every day (especially 6-year-olds who don’t love them anyway). So I’ve been making it my mission to figure out ways to bump up the veggie (and overall nutrient) content of my boys’ dinners, and praying that a) they’ll eat it and b) it will somehow be a way for them to learn to like vegetables.
Let me start off by saying this: I do believe I’ve found a winner for this crucial need, and all thanks to cauliflower and some soaked cashews. Cauliflower is so versatile, and I love to utilize it in smoothies and sauces all the time. Since one of my kiddos is so picky I hadn’t even considered making homemade mac and cheese until he fell in love with a frozen variety that had cauliflower in it.
The reality is that macaroni and cheese isn’t hard to make, and this version is even simpler. All you really need is a good high-powered blender or food processor to make this magic happen, and then you’ll see that even for adults this comfort food classic is irresistible!
I’m teaming up with Produce for Kids and Harp’s Food Stores to fight hunger in the US. You can also help support this mission by shopping for brands listed on the Produce for Kids signage in your local produce department to help give back to families in need through Feeding America! You get great produce, needs get met. It’s a win-win!
CREAMY CAULIFLOWER MACARONI AND CHEESE
- 1 bag (16 oz) Green Giant Fresh Cauliflower Crumbles
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound elbow macaroni of choice, cooked to preference
- Steam the cauliflower crumbles according to package directions. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a blender, combine all of the ingredients except the cheese and cooked macaroni.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add the cheese and allow to sit, covered, for 3-4 minutes, allowing the heat from the cauliflower to melt the cheese.
- Blend again until smooth and creamy.
- Pour over the macaroni and serve hot.