And just like that wouldn’t you know that Summer is no longer the “it” season and all things Fall are taking over my life, my thoughts, my wardrobe and my conversation choices.
- The season of back-to-school supplies shopping, where even though I’m no longer in school I still stare dreamily at the backpacks and all of those pockets I could organize my life in. Newsflash Heather: your life is too big for a backpack now.
- The season of leaves changing. It may be a while, but they’re changing goshdarnit.
- The season of cooler weather and likewise way cooler clothes. I dream of fall fashion all summer long and then never buy anything awesome. I think this needs to change this year.
- The season of remembering that I still live my life in “semesters” even though I’ve been out of college for, oh I don’t know, 6 WHOLE YEARS OHMYGOSH. I can’t change, won’t change.
- The season of pretending like I still need to train for volleyball 2-a-days. Yeah. Apparently it was so fun I had to live it again in my late 20’s…? I don’t even know who I am anymore.
- The season of football. I never liked football til I learned how to play it and now I listen to Mike & Mike in the Morning and discuss the sport to no end with my husband. I’m weird, I know, but I just can’t help it. I could totally be the next Erin Andrews but better and maybe edgier? Most definitely edgier!
- The season of football FOOOOOOOOOOOOD! You guys know what I’m talking about here. The good spicy delicious football food that you eat any given Sunday from August through the Super Bowl. It’s awesome and if you don’t admit that then I’m going to tell you you’re lying. Sorry friend, it’s said in love 🙂
But about that football food thing…it’s usually not healthy. And for me that’s OK because it’s likely going to be the day all week that I don’t eat super healthy and I’m down with that. But these meatballs? They taste like a heavenly football-packed Super Bowl party tucked neatly into a roll and smothered with love and goodness. And quite frankly that’s all you need to know until you make them yourself and find out 🙂
BUFFALO CHICKEN MEATBALL SUBS
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 medium carrots, washed, peeled and finely shredded
- 2 stalks celery, washed and finely chopped (I used a food processor for this)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 1 whole egg
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup Frank’s Red Hot sauce (or your favorite wing sauce)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 6 hoagie rolls
- bleu cheese, ranch, lettuce, tomato, etc – whatever you want on your sub!
Preheat oven to 400. In a large bowl mix together the chicken, shredded carrots, chopped celery, minced garlic, egg, breadcrumbs, milk, salt and pepper. Form into meatballs that are about 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Place the rolled meatballs on a baking sheet lined with parchment or sprayed liberally with cooking spray. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Meanwhile melt the butter and Frank’s Red Hot sauce in a large pan. When the meatballs are finished baking toss them with the hot sauce mixture to coat. Let them sit in the sauce until ready to serve! For a sub, cut a hoagie in half, scoop out a little bit of the interior bread, and add your favorite sandwich fixings. Top with meatballs. Devour.