The first time I ever heard the word “face oils” I thought it was just crazy. Most people are looking for ways to make their face less oily, and it seemed to me that the skincare industry had gone crazy. Yet I was intrigued and started to read more about the ‘why’ behind using face oils.
I’ll pause here quickly and give a little background to my personal skincare story. I’m very lucky in that I never really had a lot of excruciating breakouts when I was growing up. My breakouts were more along the lines of small blackheads and the occasional really painful zit around a specific time of the month. You’d think I would have looked around at my friends and been thankful that I wasn’t dealing with a lot of the issues they were, but instead I read up on “problem skin” and convinced myself (by way of Seventeen magazine) that I needed to banish all the oil and conceal anything that wasn’t perfect. Turns out that a) my skin was fine and normal and actually really good, especially for a teenager; b) concealing imperfections was not the healthiest practice from an emotional/mental standpoint; and c) oil isn’t always a bad thing.
A LITTLE SCIENCE
Our skin creates it’s own oil, called sebum, that is specifically for keeping the skin lubricated and supple. The problems come when there is too much sebum, which causes breakouts. Our natural inclination is to rid our skin of as much oil as possible to reduce breakouts, but when we remove all of that oil our body makes more. By adding face oils to your skincare routine you’re helping the body to realize that there’s not a need for more sebum, keeping oil at bay and therefore reducing breakouts. Smart!
BEAUTYCOUNTER’S FACE OILS
Pure plant oils are very close to our skin’s natural sebum, and can help re-balance skin and result in a clear, radiant complexion. Beautycounter’s face oils contain a combination of 7 different pure plant oils that are formulated to bring balance and moisture back to all skin types. They are lightweight and easily absorbed, which leads to more hydrated and balanced skin.
Beautycounter’s face oils contain the amazing organic rose hip seed oil which is a powerhouse of Vitamin C, Vitamin E, carotenoids and essential fatty acids – all of which are essential for addressing skin conditions like dark spots, fine lines, and skin hydration.
- Soothing Face Oil contains calendula oil, which has a warm floral scent. It also has antioxidant properties that help sooth sensitive skin.
- Hydrating Face Oil with jasmine is subtly sweet and floral, with moisturizing and conditioning properties that make it ideal for dry or mature skin.
- Balancing Face Oil has a combination of ylang ylang and wild chamomile which imparts a delicate floral herbal scent and while helping to re-balance.
HOW TO ADD BEAUTYCOUNTER OILS TO YOUR SKINCARE ROUTINE
As intimidating as face oils may sound, they’re incredibly easy to use. They last F-O-R-E-V-E-R and can easily be mixed into your moisturizer, although I actually them as my daily moisturizer most of the time. Here are the best ways to use them:
- Use them in place of a moisturizer by mixing two drops on your fingertips and gently pressing it into your skin (press, don’t rub!). It absorbs in seconds!
- Add them to your moisturizer by adding two drops to your daily/nightly face creams, then gently pressing or dabbing it in.
- Layer it underneath your moisturizer (follow step #1), then apply your eye cream, then layer the moisturizer on top.
- Use it on the go for a touch of moisture and radiance by dabbing one drop over your face as needed.
I would love to answer any questions you may have about face oils! I promise it’s not as intimidating and could actually be the key ingredient to clearer, healthier, more radiant skin!